Wednesday, May 19, 2010

To Someone

Thirty years ago this month - yesterday as a matter of fact - I met someone who made an immediate, deep and lasting impression on me. It wasn’t love at first sight. It couldn’t be. But it was a little later on. It still is today, despite many a year’s absence from my life.

I don’t presume this person has any of the memory or affection for me that I do. But there are several songs that always remind me that once I knew love. For real, for once.

These are not “our songs” by any consideration. They are really songs I knew well back then that just helped fill a terrible void. Now, even through the sadness and longing I remember all too well, they offer happy memories of a person that was real (at one time) in my heart as well as my life.

They’re also damned good songs. I hope someone knows…

No comments: